Our current research focuses on studying the biology and control of exotic and reemerging Phytophthora diseases with a particular emphasis on the Sudden Oak Death pathogen, P. ramorum and the Irish famine pathogen P. infestans. We are particularly interested in understanding how pathogens evolve and adapt. Our research includes the following broad objectives:
5. Metabarcoding to characterize the microbiome associated with plants ;
7. Development of systems approaches for management of Phytophthora diseases .
- . Emergence of the sudden oak death pathogen Phytophthora ramorum. Trends in Microbiology. 2012 ;20:131-138.
- . The Irish potato famine pathogen Phytophthora infestans originated in central Mexico rather than the Andes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences [Internet]. 2014 ;111(24):8791-8796 . Available from: http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2014/05/29/1401884111.abstract
- . Population Genetic Analysis Infers Migration Pathways of Phytophthora ramorum in US Nurseries. PLoS Pathogens. 2009 ;5.
- . Spatial and temporal analysis of populations of the sudden oak death pathogen in Oregon forests. Phytopathology [Internet]. 2015 :PHYTO-12-14-0350-FI. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1094/PHYTO-12-14-0350-FI
- . Evolution and Population Genetics of Exotic and Re-Emerging Pathogens: Novel Tools and Approaches. Annual Review of Phytopathology. 2011 ;49:249-267.
- . Genomic Analyses of Dominant US Clonal Lineages of Phytophthora infestans Reveals a Shared Common Ancestry for Clonal Lineages US11 and US18 and a Lack of Recently Shared Ancestry Among All Other US Lineages. Phytopathology. 2016 :PHYTO–10.
- . Population Genomics of Fungal and Oomycete Pathogens. Annual Review of Phytopathology [Internet]. 2016 ;54:323–46. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1146/annurev-phyto-080614-115913
- . Poppr: an R package for genetic analysis of populations with clonal, partially clonal, and/or sexual reproduction. PeerJ [Internet]. 2014 ;2:e281. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.7717/peerj.281
- . Novel R tools for analysis of genome-wide population genetic data with emphasis on clonality. Frontiers in Genetics [Internet]. 2015 ;6. Available from: http://www.frontiersin.org/plant_genetics_and_genomics/10.3389/fgene.2015.00208/abstract
- . vcfr: a package to manipulate and visualize variant call format data in R. Molecular Ecology Resources. 2017 ;17:44–53.
- . MetacodeR: An R package for manipulation and heat tree visualization of community taxonomic data from metabarcoding. bioRxiv. 2016 :071019.
- . Microbe-ID: an open source toolbox for microbial genotyping and species identification. PeerJ [Internet]. 2016 ;4:e2279. Available from: https://doi.org/10.7717/peerj.2279
- . Phytophthora community structure analyses in Oregon nurseries inform systems approaches to disease management. Phytopathology. 2014 ;104(10):1052-62.
- . Diversity of Foliar Phytophthora Species on Rhododendron in Oregon Nurseries. PLANT DISEASE. 2015 ;99:1326-1332.
- . A Systems Approach for Management of Pests and Pathogens of Nursery Crops. Plant Disease. 2012 ;96:1236-1244.